Hey guys! If you loved Atlanta or Black-ish or any black comedy TV show, then you are definitely going to love this show. So word on the street is that it is a show by a black woman for black women. I am not a woman but I sure as hell could relate to the story. Being a writer myself, I might be a bit biased when I say dialogues are one of the most important parts of any movie or show; and the dialogues in this show were spot on. If you cannot just take my intro for it, here are a few reasons why you should watch Issa Rae’s Insecure.
- The soundtracks: The music supervisor was definitely on something. The songs made me fall in love with the show even before the first dialogue. Nothing gets me like good music and Kendrick Lamar’s Alright being the first thing you will hear once it starts definitely contributed to my love for this show.
- The Relationships: If you are a fan of messy relationships, then you are automatically a fan of Insecure. Let us face it, who does not love messy relationships, especially when we are just watching from afar. Issa lives with her unemployed boyfriend Lawrence (Jay Ellis) who she may or may not love, and then she reconnects with an old boyfriend Daniel (Y’lan Noel) who she ends up cheating with. Her best friend Molly (Yvonne Orji) who can’t seem to keep a relationship finally falls in love with Jared (Langston Kerman) who may or may not be gay! Messy, no?
- It is full of judgmental people: Everyone judges everyone so no one seems to care if we judge the cast…I know I did!
- The guys are hot: This might sound a lot gay coming from another guy, but the guys from Insecure make that scene on G.I. Joe where Storm Shadow takes off his shirt look like a child’s play. I am going to stop here before I say something that will make my parents question my sexual orientation.
- The end is far from happy: Sad endings are life! Issa and HBO know we do not need a happy ending and they gave us exactly what we need…This is not Snow White or Cinderella!
Below is the trailer, if you are still not convinced by now I honestly do not know what to do with you. You just can’t be black and not love Insecure.